Notable Vessels Past and Present (A)

Notable Past and Present Vessels of the Royal South Australian Yacht Squadron

 

A collection of short histories of some of the most interesting vessels that have been on the register of the Squadron over the last 150 years.  Additional information and photographs can be found under the RSAYS Archives tab.  Please advise the Squadron History Group of any errors or omissions.

Search by boat name: A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

 

To go to the Notable Members pages CLICK HERE

 

ACHERNAR 

written by Squadron History Group

 

‘Achernar’ is a 48 ft Alden ketch, built in Sydney in 1947 and brought to the Squadron by Clive and Elda Fricker in 1964.  They raced extensively in the 1960-70s including a Sydney to Hobart Race where Clive skippered and Elda was communications officer.  Squadron members at the time remember ‘Achernar’ for its striking appearance and its tendency to leak like a sieve.  Crew during the Fricker years of ownership included Ivan and Rex Godfrey and David Borg whose non-sailing tasks encompassed maintaining the rigging and timber mast fittings without removing the mast.  Ion Ullett, whilst Commodore purchased ‘Achernar’ from the Fricker Estate in 1970.  Ion and Margaret successfully sailed her with the family for the next few years.  After a refit in 1979, she successfully cruised up the east coast to Port Douglas, but was found to be not quite the ideal cruising yacht so the Ulletts sold her and purchased ‘Alpha Centauri’ in order to adventure further afield.  Reminiscent of the most famous Alden yacht that featured in the film “High Society,” ‘Achernar’ was a stylish addition to the Squadron fleet for over 30 years. The vessel left SA around 1997, but remains well maintained and in regular use by her owner in Queensland.

ADA 

written by Libby Ottaway

 

Launched in March 1880, ‘Ada’ was built by William Taylor for John Dyer.  She was 25.5 ft long with a 6 ft 10 inch beam and drew over 6 ft.  For the first couple of years she was sailed by J. Yeo or John Dyer until J. Yeo bought ‘Florence’ in 1884.  In November 1888 owned by John Dyer, William Russell and Robert Woolnough she was taken to Melbourne for the Inter-Colonial Regatta and she won the first prize of £100 in her Division.  In about September 1890 she was owned by Robert Woolnough and at the Semaphore Sports.  In 1892 she was evenly matched with ‘Shona’, ‘Maggie’, ‘Solace’ and ‘Nyroca’.  When Robert had a roomier cruising boat built in about 1896, she was bought by Alexander McFarlane and sometimes raced by T. McFarlane.  In 1903 she was owned by E. McFarlane.

ADRIA (AUSTRALIS) 

written by Jeanne Harrison

 

‘Adria’ was a racing machine sloop of 48ft x 12ft beam x 8ft draft, with steel hull, teak decks laid over ply over steel.  She was fully equipped for offshore racing, including: roller furler genoa,12 sails, refrigeration, pressurized water system, 7 sheet winches, and 4 halyard winches.  Extensive electronics included: HF and VHF radios, radar, autopilot, Brookes and Gatehouse instrumentation, and Satnav (in the pre-GPS days).  She raced 3 Sydney to Hobart Races under owner/skipper/navigator Josko Grubic (1967,1968,1969).  In 1972 she won the Adelaide-Port Lincoln Race whilst owned by Bus Myers.  Later in the 1970s she was purchased by Squadron member Antony Harry, who continued to race her in five subsequent Sydney to Hobart Races (1976,1979,1981,1982, 1984).  In 1993 ‘Adria’ was listed for sale by Antony Harry.